Settled in the early 1600s Northport is a quaint, thriving, waterfront village located on the north shore of Long Island. The first inhabitants of Northport were peaceful Indians known as the Matinecocks, whose camp perched on a lakeshore site is now occupied by the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA). In 1650 the first Europeans came to the territory from New Amsterdam and reported their discovery to the Dutch government at The Hague.
The report described good fishing, fine meadowlands and mostly level ground suitable for farms and cattle. Six years later, this area, which would be called Great Cow Harbor, was purchased from Chief Asharoken by three Englishmen for seven quarts of liquor, two coats, four shirts and eleven ounces of powder. Relations between the settlers and the Indians were friendly, and the small colony flourished with farming and shell-fishing.
As an incorporated village, it is part of the famous “Gold Coast”, lying between the townships of Huntington and Smithtown along Route 25A (also known as Fort Salonga Road and North Country Road). Northport’s famous Main Street, with its nineteenth century trolley tracks still in place, splits off from Route 25A and continues towards a magnificent view of scenic Great Cow Harbor. Numerous Victorian and 18th century homesteads, shops, and storefronts, all carefully preserved, line both sides of the street.